Skip Global navigation and goto content

Voluntary Inspections

Environmental Health

Voluntary Inspections (Buying or Selling a Home) 

If the home you are buying is on a septic system, you should request an inspection and assessment of the system. By law, only a state-licensed septic tank contractor or plumber or a certified environmental health professional can inspect and assess your septic system. The evaluator must provide you a copy of the Department of Health Procedure for Voluntary Inspection and Assessment of Existing Systems and written notice of your right to request an evaluation based on all or part of the standards.

Read the Homebuyer's Guide to Septic Systems for more information about septic systems.

*Note: This page contains materials in the Portable Document Format (PDF). The free Adobe Acrobat Reader may be required to view these files.