Florida Department of Health in Indian River County
- (772) 794-7400
1900 27th Street
Vero Beach, FL 32960
TTY users can contact us through Florida Relay by dialing 711 or one of the other Relay Toll Free numbers.
Special Notice: Update on Health Department Service Delivery
The health department re-opened our facility to the public on Tuesday, June 2, 2020, after temporary closure due to COVID-19. To help protect clients and staff and reduce face-to-face interaction, clients are encouraged to continue to use remote services whenever possible (online, telephone, fax). Services provided within the health department are by appointment. Additional information is provided below on delivery of services.
COVID-19 Preventive Measures
The main east clinic entrance at the front of our building is the only point of entry for the public. All clients entering the health department are screened for temperature and symptoms of COVID-19 at this entrance. We strongly encourage clients who enter the health department to practice preventive measures to help protect themselves and other clients and staff, including:
- wearing a cloth face covering (unless under 2 years of age, you have difficulty breathing or are unable to remove the mask yourself)
- social distancing (maintaining 6 feet between you and others)
- practicing good hand, cough and sneeze hygiene (washing hands with soap and water for 20 seconds frequently, using alcohol-based hand sanitizers with at least 60% alcohol, coughing or sneezing into a tissue or your elbow)
- staying home when sick
- additional information on prevention is available at https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/prevention/.
Clients who will be coming in to the health department’s public health clinic for a scheduled medical appointment will be required to wear a mask during their visit.
Please contact the department you are requiring services from to get the most up-to-date information about the service you need (phone numbers are listed below).
For remote service, to request medical records release online:
- Print a medical records release form (Authorization to Disclose Confidential Information)
- Complete the form in its entirety…include addresses, phone and fax numbers, names and dates of birth and signature
- Make sure you place your initials where indicated as we do not accept check marks or X’s…if you do not initial next to the specific record needed, then we will not be able to releas
- Complete 1 form for each client’s records needed…do not place multiple client names on the same form
- Fax the completed request form and a legible copy of your ID to 772-562-6789
We process requests through our copy service company, CIOX. If your request form is completed correctly and we can make an identifying match between your ID, signature and what we already have on file, our copy service company will process your request and records will be sent to you or your medical provider via mail.
We do not email records and can only fax limited pages to a “secured” fax line.
Please call our Medical Records Office at 772-794-7408 for more information, Monday through Friday, 8am-5pm.
PUBLIC HEALTH CLINIC SERVICES:
All clinic services are by appointment only until further notice. For assistance, please call 772-794-7425, or phone number indicated below for specific services, Monday through Friday 8am to noon and 1pm to 5pm:
- STDs (Sexually Transmitted Diseases)
- HIV /AIDS Primary Care
- Family Planning
- ADAP (AIDS Drug Assistance Program, Ph: 772-794-7400 x1601)
- Case Management (Ph: 772-794-7449)
- PEPW (Presumptive Eligibility for Pregnant Women, Ph: 772-794-7468)
VITAL STATISTICS (birth and death certificates):
For remote services, birth and death certificates can be ordered by fax of mail order, or by online VitalChek® system. Please utilize the following methods to obtain certificates:
- For information on how to fax or mail in a birth certificate application, visit our web page on Birth Certificates
- For information on how to fax or mail in a death certificate application, visit our web page onDeath Certificates
- Order Online Through VitalChek
VitalChek® is the only vendor recommended by the Florida Department of Health. VitalChek® is a 3rd party service, not affiliated with the Florida Department of Health. As such, fees charged by VitalChek® may be different than fees charged when ordering directly through your local health department office. Visit the Vital Chek website at https://www.vitalchek.com/vital-records/florida/florida-vital-statistics for more information.
If you need additional help, please call our Office of Vital Statistics at 772-794-7460, Monday through Friday 8am - 4:30pm.
BUSINESS OFFICE AND ADMINISTRATIVE FUNCTIONS:
Please call 772-794-7450 for information on business and administrative services, Monday through Friday, 8am - 5pm.
COMMUNICABLE DISEASES AND EPIDEMIOLOGY:
Please call the communicable disease office at 772-794-7472 for information on services, Monday through Friday, 8am - 5pm.
- Communicable Disease Reporting Line is available 24/7/365, Ph: 772-794-7472 / Fax: 772-794-7482
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SERVICES (septic, water testing, sharps, licensing and permitting, etc.):
Services for environmental health will be scheduled in the office by appointment. Remote services are available for some services. Please call the Environmental Health office at 772-794-7440 for more information, Monday through Friday, 8am - 5pm, or by email at zzzzFB_CHD31EH@flhealth.gov .
HUMAN SERVICES PROGRAM (Assistance with rent/utilities/food/prescriptions):
Services are by drop off and appointments. Please call the Human Services program at 772-226-1423 for more information, Monday through Friday, 8am - 4:30pm.
WIC services are provided by appointment only. Currently services can be completed remotely by phone/email or in person. Please call WIC at 772-794-7430 for an appointment or for more information, Monday through Friday, 8am - 5pm (Our phone lines are busy, leave a detailed voicemail message if prompted so we can return your call).
NOTICE: DISCONTINUATION OF PRIMARY CARE SERVICES:
Florida Department of Health in Indian River County no longer provides primary care or dental services at either the main health department in Vero Beach or Gifford Health Center. Treasure Coast Community Health is the new provider in Gifford Health Center.
The following public health services will remain at the main health department site located at 1900 27th Street in Vero Beach:
- Family planning/birth control
- HIV/AIDS primary care and services
- Communicable disease services
- Sexually transmitted disease (STD) services
- Childhood and outbreak related immunizations
- School health services
- WIC nutrition program
- Office of Vital Statistics (birth and death certificates)
- Environmental health services
- Community health improvement and outreach
- Public health preparedness and response
- County Human Services assistance program
For more information, please visit our public health clinic webpage.
ABOUT USLocal Topic: Cyanobacteria/Blue-Green Algae FAQs
The Florida Department of Health in Indian River County (DOH-Indian River) is located in beautiful Indian River County. The U.S. Census Bureau reports Indian River County as having an estimated population of 141,994 in 2013 - and our population is expected to continue increasing. Working under the Florida Department of Health, DOH-Indian River is part of a statewide system of coordinated county health departments formed under Chapter 154 Florida Statutes. The health department receives additional funding from a variety of sources, including the Indian River County Board of County Commissioners. Our staff consists of licensed medical and environmental professionals, qualified support staff and interpreters, all dedicated to providing you with excellent service. Additionally, we have a nurse on-call available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Another role the health department fills is emergency response during times of emergencies or disasters, such as working in a Special Needs Shelter during a hurricane, where staff assist people who have special medical needs, or providing needed immunizations to populations at risk during events such as H1N1 (swine flu).
DOH-Indian River is part of an integrated agency under the direction of the Florida Department of Health State Office with local, county and state commitments. The Department's focus on quality begins with its mission to protect, promote and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county and community efforts, with a shared vision to be the healthiest state in the nation. The Department's values are innovation, Collaboration, Accountability, Responsiveness, and Excellence. DOH-Indian River's Quality Improvement Plan supports our value of Excellence, which is defined as promoting quality outcomes through learning and continuous performance improvement. To learn more about our quality improvement efforts, read our DOH-Indian River Quality Improvement Plan 2019 -2020.
- View the DOH-Indian River Organizational Chart
- Search for other county health departments in Florida.
FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH MISSION:
To protect, promote and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, and community efforts.
FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH VISION:
To be the Healthiest State in the nation
FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH VALUES: (ICARE)
Innovation: We search for creative solutions and manage resources wisely.
Collaboration: We use teamwork to achieve common goals and solve problems.
Accountability: We perform with integrity and respect.
Responsiveness: We achieve our mission by serving our customers and engaging our partners.
Excellence: We promote quality outcomes through learning and continuous performance improvement
CHILD ABUSE DEATH REVIEW COMMITTEE
CIRCUIT #19 PUBLIC MEETING NOTICE
Local Committee: Treasure Coast Child Death Review Committee
Date of Meeting: TBA
Start Time: 1:30 PM
End Time: 5:00 PM
Location of Meeting:
Address: 411 South Second Street
City: Fort Pierce
Closed Door Session: A portion of the meeting is required by Section 383.412(3) (a), F.S. to be closed to the public to allow the Committee to discuss information that is confidential and exempt from public meetings and public records. This portion of the meeting will be announced at the meeting.
Name: Miranda Hawker
The State of Florida Department of Health complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Persons needing special accommodations in order to participate in this meeting should contact Miranda Hawker, 772-794-7450.
*Note: This page contains materials in the Portable Document Format (PDF). The free Adobe Acrobat Reader may be required to view these files.