Healthy Communities, Healthy People Chronic Disease Prevention Program
Healthy Communities Healthy People Contact Information
1900 27th Street
Vero Beach, FL 32960
Healthy Communities, Healthy People
Chronic diseases, such as heart disease, cancer, and diabetes, are the leading causes of death and disability in the United States. These diseases account for 7 of every 10 deaths and affect the quality of life for over 90 million Americans. Although chronic diseases are among the most common and costly health problems, they are also among the most preventable. Adopting healthy behaviors such as eating nutritious foods, controlling portion sizes, being physically active, and avoiding tobacco use can prevent or control the devastating effects of chronic diseases.
The Florida Department of Health is working towards a healthier Florida through the Healthy Communities, Healthy People Program with the goal of reducing death and disability due to chronic diseases such as heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and cancer. Efforts are being made to implement this new program on both a state and local community-wide level within the 67 county health departments. Department of Health program staff will work with state and community partners to create environmental and policy changes for healthy lifestyles.
The Florida Department of Health in Indian River County's Healthy Communities, Healthy People program is committed to implementing the following changes within our community:
- Safe and accessible sidewalks, parks, and walking/bike trails
- Heart-healthy choices in vending machines and cafeterias
- Policies to promote clean outdoor air
- Tobacco prevention and cessation education in schools and work sites
- Faith-based organizations providing health education
- Placement of AEDs (Automated External Defibrillator) in public access areas
RELATED LINKS AND RESOURCES
Please visit the following websites for more information on other intervention programs:
- Department of Health Healthiest Weight Florida.com
- US Department of Health and Human Services We Can! website
- Florida Department of Health Diabetes webpage
- Florida Department of Health Physical Activity promotion webpage
HEALTHY COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS
- Community Health Network of Indian River County
- Indian River Medical Center
- Treasure Coast Community Health
- Indian River County Hospital District
- Indian River County Board of County Commissioners
- Pastor's Association of Indian River County
- Parish Nurses of Indian River County
- Visiting Nurse Association of the Treasure Coast
- The Mended Hearts, Inc., Chapter 235
Get Educated About Gynecologic Cancers
The Centers for Diseaes Control (CDC) provides information and educational materials for women and health care providers to raise awareness about the five main gynecologic cancers (cervical, ovarian, uterine, vaginal, and vulvar). Visit the Centers for Disease Control's Gynecologic Cancers webpage for additional information about gynecologic cancers, or the Florida Department of Health's Women's Health webpage for women's health education, tools and resources for both women and healthcare providers.
Are you trying to quit smoking or know someone who is? Visit the Everglades Area Health Education Tobacco Program website for quit smoking classes and information.
*Note: This page contains materials in the Portable Document Format (PDF). The free Adobe Acrobat Reader may be required to view these files.