Vital Statistics Contact Information
1900 27th Street
Vero Beach, FL 32960
The Florida Department of Health in Indian River County's Office of Vital Statistics has a record of births and deaths for the State of Florida. Certified copies of birth and death records (certificates) may be obtained from our office. Identification will be required.
Obtaining a Death Certificate
Death certificates are available from 2009 to present. All death records, which exclude the cause of death, are public record and anyone may obtain certified copies without the cause of death information. Years previous to 2009 may be obtained through the State Office of Vital Statistics, P. O. Box 210, Jacksonville, FL 32231, Ph: (904) 359-6900 ext. 9000.
If the death occurred in another state visit the CDC's National Center for Health Statistics Where to Write for Vital Records web page.
Death Certificates with Cause of Death
The cause of death becomes public information after 50 years from the date of death. By Florida law, the cause of death is considered confidential prior to that time. In order to comply with statutory laws, death certificates with the cause of death listed can only be released to:
- decedent's spouse, parent, and (if of legal age) child, grandchild or sibling
- any person who provides a will, insurance policy or other document that demonstrates their interest in the estate of the decedent
- any person who provides documentation that he or she is acting on the behalf of any of the previously mentioned persons
- any person providing a court order
If you are a beneficiary on a life insurance policy, a certificate will be issued to you with the cause of death provided the following is supplied with your request and payment:
- The life insurance policy must name the applicant as beneficiary. This may be in the form of a copy of the policy or a letter from the insurance provider stating the applicant is a beneficiary of the registrant's insurance policy and dated or has been updated within one year.
The cause of death information is not needed for:
- Credit Card Companies
- Property Claims
- Title Companies
- Vehicle Title Transfers
How to Obtain a Death Certificate
A written request is required for all death certificates. If you are requesting the cause of death, you must state your relationship to the deceased. If a relationship is not stated, you will be issued a certified copy without the cause of death information. Death certificates can be obtained with minimal waiting time directly from our office or you can mail or fax your written request by following the guidelines below:
- Written request must include the name of the decedentent
- Date of death
- Whether you want the certificate with or without cause of death (limits apply for release with cause of death)
- Name and relationship of person requesting the certificate including original signature.
- Check or money order for the cost of the certificate(s) - See Death Certificate Fees section below - payable to "FDOH Indian River" or "Florida Department of Health Indian River County". Fax orders require credit card information.
- Photo copy of front and back of government issued ID (i.e. driver's license, passport, military, etc.) if you are requesting a copy with cause of death.
- Address to mail the certificate and phone number. It is recommended that you include a self-addressed stamped envelope for faster processing.
Death Certificate Application and Affidavit
- Application for Death Certificate (Fax Order)
- Application for Death Certificate (Mail Order)
- Application for Death Certificate (Walk-In)
- Affidavit to Release Cause of Death Information
Death Certificate Fees
All certificates issued from this office are certified. A fee of $12.00* per certified copy. There is a $3.00* charge per year for death searches if the year of death is unknown. *Fees and charges may vary based upon location and are subject to change without notice. Please contact our office at (772) 794-7460 for current fee information.
All fax orders must be accompanied with credit card information. All major credit cards are accepted.
Checks are accepted and should be made payable to "FDOH Indian River" or "Florida Department of Health Indian River County".
Office of Vital Statistics
1900 27th Street (2nd floor)
Vero Beach, FL 32960
Ph: 772-794-7460 / Fax: 772-794-7443
Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 4:30pm
For additional information on Florida vital statistics and certificates, visit the Florida Department of Health Certificates web page.
Note: This page contains materials in the Portable Document Format (PDF). The free Adobe Acrobat Reader may be required to view these files.