skip to content

It's a New Day in Public Health.

The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, & community efforts.

skip to content


Florida Department of Health in Indian River County

  •  (772) 794-7400

    Mailing Address

    1900 27th Street 

    Vero Beach, FL 32960 


    TTY users can contact us through Florida Relay by dialing 711 or one of the other Relay Toll Free numbers. 

Eligibility for Reduced Medical Fees 

What is eligibility?
The Florida Department of Health in Indian River County (DOH-Indian River) strives to help fill the need for affordable, quality health care to residents in Indian River County by providing medical services to the uninsured and underinsured. DOH-Indian River only sees Indian River County residents for primary care services, as well as dental, unless the client is assigned through Medicaid to our health department. As required by law, no client will be refused services for communicable diseases (STDs, TB, HIV, etc.) family planning services and childhood immunizations.

Fees we charge and collect are used to continue to provide care to you and your family.  Some of the medical services are at no cost, and many medical services (not including dental) that have a fee are eligible for reduced rates on a set sliding fee scale, which is a system of charging fees for services based on your ability to pay. Our staff determine whether a patient is eligible or qualifies for reduced rates on a sliding fee scale. Eligibility expires every 12 months from the date it was determined and needs to be re-determined before the expiration date. To qualify for the sliding fee scale, we require proof of:

If you choose to have your eligibility determined, our staff will assist you with the eligibility determination process, including what information we need from you. You can email your eligibility documentation to if you prefer and our staff will review your documentation for approval.

If you choose not to have your eligibility determined (waived eligibility), you will be responsible for paying the full fee for any medical service you receive that has a fee associated, including fees not covered by insurance.

Eligibility for new patients
Bring your photo ID, two proofs of residency and proof of income to your first appointment. This will determine your placement on the sliding fee scale, if eligible. If your income or residence changes, please notify staff on your next visit to update your information and re-determine your eligibility.

Eligibility for existing patients
If you are already receiving reduced medical fees on a sliding fee scale, you will need to have your eligibility re-determined before the end of the 12 months to determine if you are still eligible. If you don't meet the eligibility requirements, or if you don't provide the necessary information before your re-determination date expires, your eligibility will end and you will then be responsible for paying 100% of any medical fees charged, including any amount insurance does not cover. While eligibility is re-determined every 12 months, you should contact us anytime your information changes.

Eligibility for dental services
Our dental services are limited to Indian River County residents. Proof of photo ID and residency requirements as noted below.  Some Medicaid is accepted.

What if I don't want to go through the eligibility process for reduced medical fees?
You can choose not to have your eligibility determined, in which case your eligibility will be waived and you will be responsible for paying the full fee for any medical services you receive that has a fee associated, including any fees not covered by insurance.

Some fees for medical services may depend on specific individual situations or are not offered on the sliding fee scale. These services include:

  • family planning/birth control/contraceptives (fee varies)
  • childhood immunizations for ages 2 months through age 18 (free if eligible through the Centers for Disease Control's (CDC) Vaccines for Children program)
  • travel immunizations (full fee for service expected at time of service)
  • adult immunizations, if you are only here for this service (full fee for service)
  • school/work physicals (fee varies)
  • sexually transmitted disease (STD) testing, treatment and counseling (fee varies)
  • tuberculosis (TB)/communicable disease control (fee varies)

Acceptable proof of photo identification (1 photo identification from the list below is required):

  • any official local, state or federal government or military issued identification with photo. For example:
  • driver's license
  • government identification
  • valid passport (US or non-US)
  • valid work identification
  • valid school identification

Acceptable proof of Indian River County residency (Two items from the list below with your name and address listed is required. One must be within 60 days and one must be within 6 and 12 months of current date.)

  • any official valid local, state or federal government or military issued document
  • a bill with your name and address listed from any of the following sources:
  • electric bill
  • water bill
  • gas bill
  • cable or satellite bill
  • medical bill
  • pest control bill
  • home phone bill
  • cellular phone bill
  • credit card statement
  • insurance statement
  • pay stub
  • housing or mortgage agreement
  • rental agreement or lease with landlord's name, address, phone number listed
  • rental receipt with landlord's name, address, phone number listed
  • prior year property tax receipt or current year's property tax bill
  • W2 form for previous year
  • unemployment document
  • vehicle registration for current year
  • county school record/registration certificate showing current enrollment in school
  • for incarcerated individuals, residency will be established by residency immediately prior to incarceration
  • homeless individuals must bring in one of the following:
    • homeless declaration signed by homeless agency personnel
    • law enforcement booking sheet
    • declaration letter from family or friend
    • letter of support (contact staff for further information)

Acceptable proof of household income (any statements you bring in from the below list must be from the 2 months before the date your eligibility is determined or re-determined):

Note: Household income is the gross income (income before taxes and fees are taken out) for anyone living in the household (household members) where there is a legal relationship (related by blood, marriage, law, conception, or a foster child). Those not considered household members are: another family other than yours, that lives in the same has you live in; Any single adult over 18 living with relatives is considered to be a separate family, unless the adult is a member of a separate economic unit)

Wages and Salary:
  • Pay stubs – last 8 weeks
  • Letter from employer(s) on company letterhead signed and dated by your employer (with their name/address/phone #) showing gross earnings
  • 1040 ES quarterly tax form (dated within 90 days from eligibility determination)
  • 1040 form or W-2 form for the past year
  • Gross income from self-employment
  • Most recent income tax return
  • Self-declaration of income (Contact Eligibility staff for information and form)
Unearned Monthly Income:
  • Social security and disability benefits
  • Public assistance or welfare payments
  • Unemployment compensation
  • Spousal support (alimony) received
  • Worker's compensation for lost income
  • Court ordered child support received or paid
Other Unearned Income (figured monthly):
  • Veterans and military allotments
  • Retirement and pension benefits
  • Insurance, annuity, estate or trust income
  • Private loans that recur
  • Dividends or interest on savings, stocks/bonds
  • New rental income and royalties
  • Contributions
  • Savings, investments, trust accounts and other resources readily available to the household
Letter of Financial Support (contact Eligibility staff for more information and form)

Expenses (figured monthly):
  • court ordered child support
  • child or day care expenses

How can I get a copy of the eligibility forms to complete?
Please contact our clinic at 772-794-7425 for information about eligibility forms.

How do I apply for Medicaid?
You can apply for Medicaid by contacting the Department of Children and Families at 1-866-762-2237.